The Tenets of Sustainable SuiteScript Leaders
Created: February 12, 2021
Previously I shared my Pillars of a Sustainable Software Practice in the professional services space.
Each of those Pillars is formed from beliefs and behaviours shared by the leaders of such teams.
Invest in your people first
- We define success with employee engagement and repeat clients.
- We work reasonable, predictable hours and take regular vacations.
- We do not negotiate salaries because we pay top dollar and publish such.
- We hire to expand our perspectives and our capabilities, not only our capacity.
Cultivate valuable, visible, accessible expertise
- We develop deep, unique, valuable expertise, and we share it generously.
- We measure growth with profitability, not revenue or head count.
- We charge fees appropriate for the value of the outcomes we deliver; we do not bill for the hours we put in.
- We allow our leaders to focus on enabling their team instead of working inside it.
Question and learn continuously
- We enable, encourage, and thrive on frequent feedback.
- We invest continually in the personal and professional development of our teams.
- We create new leaders, not new technicians.
Be intentional and habitual in delivering value
- We do not agree to deadlines before a project starts.
- We debate, decide, and document our conventions, then we automate them.
- We diversify our services beyond writing code.
- We advise, consult, and build; we do not take orders.